Some lesser known facts about Karan Johar
- Karan Johar worked as a costume designer before debuting as a film director with Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.
- Interestingly, his job as the costume designer was to style Shah Rukh Khan in DDLJ. KJo found his passion for dressing up celebs and became the costume designer for SRK in Dil Toh Pagal Hai and Veer-Zara, and for Amitabh Bachchan in Mohabbatein.
- Karan Johar can speak French as fluently as his native language.
- He is one of the rare Bollywood celebs to have obtained a Master’s degree in French.
- Karan Johar is the only Indian apart from former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who has been invited as the guest at the opening ceremony of the London Olympics.
- His father started Dharma Productions 40 years ago.
- Shah Rukh Khan’s character in the film Kal Ho Na Ho of a dying man with an undying spirit of life, is loosely inspired by how his father was in real life. Kal Ho Na Ho is the one film that KJo says he regrets not directing himself. The film was directed by Nikhhil Advani.
- Karan Johar considers Kajol his lucky charm in Bollywood and that’s the reason he makes sure to reserve a special appearance of the actor in all his films whether in a song or in one or two scenes here and there.
- Karan Johar’s father Yash Johar was a popular filmmaker and wanted to launch him as an actor. He was all set with a film but destiny had other plans.
- Karan Johar actually got inspired by a film to end his belief in superstitions. Before he watched Lage Raho Munnabhai, the title of all his movies began with the letter ‘K’.
- After he watched the climax scene of the Rajkumar Hirani directorial in which Sanjay Dutt and Saurabh Shukla have a conversation about superstitions, KJo stopped believing in numerology.
- He got the idea of making Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna when he overheard a couple in a restaurant who were getting separated that day. The incident moved him so much that he decided to make a movie on the entire issue of marriages, separation, and finding the right partner. KJo received a lot of criticism for glorifying cheating in marriage.
- Karan Johar’s ultimate dream is to hold an Oscar in hand and dedicate it to his country.
- He once mentioned that he has rehearsed his speech so many times that he can’t ever forget what he would say on the stage if he gets there someday. “This is for you, India,” is what KJo dreams to speak from Oscar’s stage.
Karan johar is a party animal and likes to party and is great dancer some of which got revealed in various dance shows or india’s got talent episodes where he was the judge on such shows.
He has great friends throughout the industry & he always succeeds to keep upto them
- Karan is closest Friends to Shah rukh Khan and is rumoured to be great friends with Ekta kapoor for whom he wrote on instagram “We have a karmic cosmic connection and I know you will always have my back …. can’t wait to come and have dinner with Shobha aunty and you!!!! Hugest hug and kiss from Roohi Yash mom and me!!! We love you!!!”