Some Lesser known facts about Vin Diesel
- Vin Diesel was born together with his twin brother Paul in 1967 in California. Their biological father left their mother before they were ever born. They were raised by his mom and stepfather instead.
- Vin Diesel’s skintone looks white, but many people say that his nose and other features resemble traditional African-American facial structure
- Vin’s step-father was the local High School’s drama teacher. This meant that he encouraged the boys to get involved in acting. Vin was already in his first play by the time he was 7 years old, which gave him the inspiration to continue acting
- When he was a kid, he never watched TV shows, but he would watch the same movie dozens of times. He said he watched the 1954 movie On the Waterfront at least 100 times.
- When he was a kid dreaming of becoming an actor, his mom gave him a book called Feature Films at Used Car Prices.
- When he was a teenager, he was filmed in an instructional video to teach breakdancing to kids.
- Guardians of the Galaxy was not his first time talking to Marvel. He was considered for the role of Daredevil in 2003, but it ended up going to Ben Affleck
- Vin Diesel dropped out of college when he had the opportunity to be in a movie called Multi-Facial.
- Vin Diesel worked as a bouncer for a total of 10 years at bars and nightclubs, in-between his acting gigs. He says that he estimates that he got into roughly 500 fights with drunken patrons during the course of that career.
His second film, Strays, also made it to Cannes. This was sufficient for the famous Hollywood director Steven Spielberg to recognize him, and cast him in Saving Private Ryan.
- He played the character Richard B. Riddick in three different movies: Pitch Black, The Chronicles of Riddick, and Riddick.
- The movie Vin Diesel became best known for was The Fast and the Furious in 2001.
- Vin Diesel was pitched two different scripts for The Fast and the Furious sequel.
- In 2006, he gained 35 pounds for his role of “Fat Jackie” in Find Me Guilty.
- When talking about The Fast and the Furious franchise, he responded that a lot of it was in honor of video game culture. He explained that since Grand Theft Auto was such a cultural phenomenon
Vin Diesel is know for owning fancy cars in the movies. In real life, he drives a Yukon Flex Fuel with car seats in the back.
- Vin Diesel confesses that Saving Private Ryan was one of the most difficult movies he ever acted in as it was based on real people.
- Part of his workout routine is mixed martial arts. He also lifts weights, and hangs out with a lot of body builders. He even has his own private gym in his house.
- In 2013, he was awarded his own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- He is a huge fan of “Dungeons & Dragons” Vin has been playing the game since he was 12 years old. He even wrote the foreword in “30 Years of Adventure: A Celebration of Dungeons & Dragons”.
- Vin enrolled as an English major at Hunter College, but dropped out after three years to go to Hollywood to further his acting career.
- Diesel’s first film role was a brief uncredited appearance in the film Awakenings (1990).
- While first pursuing acting he worked in telemarketing, a skill that later helped him raise nearly $50,000 to fund his first full length feature movie, Strays.